Learn the fundamentals of putting together academic, confined water and open water teaching presentations. This course is all-inclusive.
PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Course
- Starting From:
- Open Water Scuba Instructor (Flex)
- Participants Must be at least 18 years old
- Open Water Scuba Instructor (Group)
- Participants Must be at least 18 years old
The Evolution of Scuba Diving Passion
The Squalo Divers Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) course is a 6-day class that is designed to prepare qualified candidates to become PADI Instructors in beautiful South Florida and beyond.
This course is scheduled during the last 6 days of our Instructor Development Course. Either the OWSI program or the entire IDC must be completed before attending the PADI Instructor Exam (IE).
Combining the Assistant Instructor (AI) course and the OWSI program into a continuous program makes up the entire IDC. Scuba instructors certified by other organizations may cross over to PADI by successfully completing the OWSI program and the IE.
Please consult with Squalo Divers Professional Development Team for guidance. Recommendations will be based on your attitude, experience, level of dive knowledge, diving ability, overall understanding of the dive market and consumer attitudes, and your ability to grasp new concepts through independent study.
Remedial training, additional IDC curriculum presentations, or full IDC with or without the pre-study and advanced workshops may be advised.
- Be certified as PADI Assistant Instructor (AI) or hold a leadership level certification with another training organization.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement for a diving medical examination conducted within the past 12 months from the start date of the IE must be signed and state Fit for diving (PADI medical Statement Form recommended).
- Be a certified diver for at least six months and have completed and logged at least 60 open water scuba dives (100 logged dives to attend the IE), as documented in the individuals log book and have documentation of experience in deep, night and navigation.
- Submit proof of CPR training within the past 24 months.
- Submit documentation (photocopy) of any qualifying certifications issued by another recreational diver training organization.
- Medical History Form
- Demonstrate competency in dive theory by passing a five-part theory exam scoring 75% on each part.
- Perform a facedown, nonstop swim for 800 meters/yards using a mask, snorkel and fins.
- Show proof of at least 100 logged open water scuba dives, if attending the PADI Instructor examination (IE).
- This popular course option is conveniently completed in six consecutive days. This Development Course option is for PADI Assistant Instructor or current instructor member in good standing with a recognized recreational diver training organization for at least 6 months.
- Please see the Squalo Divers Professional Development Schedule for dates. This program runs from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. with no variations. (Any personal schedule variations from the group schedule place you into a Flexible Program design.
- Professional Development Group Program cancelation policy for this is 14 days prior to the program.)
- Learn More
The Squalo Divers Flex course option allows you to set a special schedule. We will conduct your program sessions in the store during regular store hours.
Professional Development cancelation policy for this option is 72 hours prior to the program.
PADI Instructor Examination (IE) is a standard, objective evaluation conducted by instructor examiners from PADI America, or elsewhere. Instructor candidates must successfully complete the listed exams and perform the following:
- PADI Instructor Examination 5-part theory exam: Physics, Physiology, Decompression theory, Skills and Environment and Equipment with a passing score of 75% for each topic
- PADI systems, standards and procedures exam
- A knowledge development prescriptive teaching presentation
- Demonstrate quality five-skill circuit
- A confined water teaching presentation
- Rescue an unresponsive diver at the surface to demonstrate quality using a pocket mask, or mouth to mouth.
- An open water teaching presentation with two skills combined (skills can be from the open water, advanced open water or rescue diver courses
The instructor candidate must successfully complete all components of the PADI IE in order to earn the PADI Open Water Scuba Instructors (OWSI) certification.
As an OWSI, you are qualified to teach various experience programs, the Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Rescue and Divemaster courses in addition to the Peak Performance Buoyancy, AWARE Coral Reef Conservation and Project AWARE specialty courses.
Squalo Divers Professional development team is fully committed to your success.
To learn more about the PADI Instructor Examination (IE) in South Florida, or your preferred area, please contact us to find a PADI IE schedule.
The Group Program course fee is per person and includes:
- All instruction
- Tanks and weights
- IDC E-Learning online
- Facility fees
- Application fee
- PADI IE fee
Students are responsible for supplying all of the equipment listed below.
- Scuba mask, scuba snorkel, scuba fins
- Buoyancy Control Device
- Depth Gauge
- Dive computer
- Underwater compass.
- Audible surface signal.
- Surface signal (safety tube)
- Cutting tool
- Bathing suit and towel
- All items are available for purchase at Squalo Divers.