This program allows you to start your pool work and self-study in one place and complete your training dives in another place.
- Starting From:
- Participants Must be at least 12 years old
Advance Your Possibilities!
When you first became interested in diving, your primary focus was most likely on getting your Open Water Diver certification. You soon realized, however, that trying to be a “real” scuba diver with nothing more than a beginner diver certification is like trying to compete in the job market with an elementary school education. It is just not enough.
That’s why there is an Advanced Open Water Diver course. It introduces you to critical knowledge and skills that beginner courses don’t have time to cover.
- Gain additional open water experience under the guidance and supervision of a knowledgeable instructor.
- Receive an introduction to a variety of specialty diving activities and dive from shore and from a boat.
- Take your recommended depth rating from 60 to 100 feet.
- Meet an important prerequisite for Rescue, Divemaster and Assistant Instructor training, as well as for a number of Specialty Diver courses, such as Underwater Navigation and Deep Diving. If your ultimate goal is to earn the prestigious Master Scuba Diver rating, this course is your starting point.
- Qualify to take part in a number of diving activities in which participation is limited to “Advanced Divers Only.”
Despite the fact it is designed to be taken immediately after completing the Open Water Diver course, there are some substantial differences between the beginner course and the Advanced Open Water Diver course.
- Where the focus of the beginner course is to develop fundamental knowledge and skills, the Advanced Open Water Diver course focuses primarily on introducing you to a variety of fun and enjoyable specialty diving activities.
- The beginner course follows a single, standardized curriculum. In the Advanced Open Water Diver course, you get to design your own curriculum — just like choosing electives in college.
This course is open to divers who are:
This course consists of:
- Self study
- One classroom session
- Five open water training dives
Self study takes place at the comfort of your home. Classroom session takes place right here at Squalo Divers. Open water training dives take place at one of more than 50 dive sites that we have to offer.
Advanced Open Water Diver classes start at any time. Classroom session is done during regular store hours. Open water training dives are done on any day of the week. All activities take place by appointment only.
The course includes:
- Educational material
- All instruction
- Five open water training dives done over the course of two days (1 day from shore and 1 day from the boat)
- Use of air tanks and weights
- Certification card processing
Students are responsible for supplying all of the equipment items listed below, plus:
- Transportation to and from all dive/training sites
- Food and drinks
Students are responsible for supplying all of the equipment items listed below:
- Scuba mask, scuba snorkel, scuba fins +
- Wetsuit *+
- Buoyancy Control Device (BCD) *+
- Regulator *+
- Dive computer *+
- Delayed signal marker buoy (DSMB) +
- Whistle +
- Underwater compass *+
- Cutting tool (knife, scissor, etc) +
- Writing slate +
- Primary, secondary, and marker dive light (only required if participating in the Night Diving Adventure Dive) *+
- Silicone mouthpiece +
- Gear bag +
- Bathing suit and towel
* Items are available for rent at Squalo Divers.
+ Items are available for purchase at Squalo Divers.